New Online Training Course in English
The Japan Plant Factory Association (JPFA) has announced to hold its first Strawberry Course for Plant Factories with Artificial Lighting (PFALs) in English from October 13 to 31, 2022, and is receiving applications.
Since 2018, the JPFA has held training courses on PFALs in English year by year and has accepted over 180 participants from more than 35 countries. The participants’ evaluations of those courses were very positive. On the other hand, the JPFA received eager calls from relevant parties/persons in PFAL industry and controlled environment agriculture for new programs with specified themes.
Now, the JPFA has decided to conduct the Strawberry Course in English to meet such expectations.
The core topics of the Strawberry Course are:
- Current situation on strawberry production in PFALs in Japan and the world
- Physiology of strawberries
- Strawberry production compared to the leafy green production in PFALs
- Keys of strawberry cultivation management in PFALs
- Case study: Strawberry production in a test facility in Kashiwanoha campus
- Case study: Strawberry seedling company, introducing the seed-propagated cultivars
- Challenges and future development of strawberry production and breeding for
First-rate lecturers and professionals with a wide range of knowledge about strawberries from the Ohio State University, Chiba University, Meiji University, a strawberry PFAL, a seedling company, and the JPFA will present lectures, case studies, and the question-and-answer session.
All lectures are pre-recorded and participants can view lecture videos at their convenience during the course period. A live question-and-answer session will be held in late October to clear questions and deepen participants’ understanding. The time required to view all lecture videos will be about 6 hours and 1 hour for the live Q&A session.
The course period is from Thursday, Oct. 13, until Monday, Oct. 31, 2022 (JST).
The course fee is JPY45,000/person for JPFA members and JPY65,000/person for non-members. Anybody interested in the Strawberry Course can apply from here. For more information, click here.
The Japan Plant Factory Association, a nonprofit organization with over 200 members in Japan and abroad, is devoted to advancing the plant factory industry and controlled-environment agriculture in and outside Japan through academia-industry collaborations. The JPFA oversees plant factories on the Chiba University Kashiwanoha campus in Kashiwa, northeast of Tokyo. Also, it works on about 20 R&D projects and runs workshops and training courses.
Apply for JPFA membership here. JPFA member can:
- obtain a discount on training courses and join workshops free of charge.
- receive the JPFA Weekly, which contains valuable information on the plant factory fields.
- connect with other JPFA members, etc.
For more information;
Nozomi Hiramatsu/Koji Hori
Japan Plant Factory Association