The Growcer is an innovative agri-tech startup launched in Ottawa in 2015, specializing in the manufacturing and design of modular hydroponic systems that enable commercial food production in plug-and-play 40 ft. modules. Its vertical farming technology enables customers to grow fresh vegetables in virtually any climate, having been deployed within the Arctic Circle below -50°C. Growcer has empowered conventional farmers, entrepreneurs, communities and institutions to grow food locally all year round. Growcer’s work has been recognized with awards including Fast Company’s World Changing Ideas and the Entrepreneurs’ Organization and was featured on Season 13 of CBC’s hit show, Dragons’ Den.
The Growcer is looking for a driven individual with a self-starter attitude as the company enters the next phase of rapid growth and scales in select regions globally. Effective Growcer employees are tenacious, enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, and are comfortable working on big-picture challenges with lots of autonomy. All positions and work responsibilities tie back to our mission of empowering people to feed the world more sustainably, and applicants who are laser-focused on contributing to the creation of a better food system will find a workplace and team that shares their vision for sustainable agriculture.
Learn more about the role and apply here: https://lnkd.in/euqrxsr2
Why Should You Apply?
- Positive Social Impact: an opportunity to feel good about how your role is helping to change the lives of others through the delivery of sustainable food technologies.
- Benefits & Total Compensation: a competitive salary with full access to our employee health benefits plan.
- Flexible Hours: to create a work/life balance, we offer flex hours for all those appointments and other commitments that may arise.
- Vacation & Life Leave: a minimum of 3 weeks starting vacation plus an additional week to support those personal days needed for moving, sick leave, and/or unexpected emergencies.
- Professional Development: participation in our internal leadership development seminars tailored for managers, and access to a professional development fund to invest in additional personal and professional growth related to your field and desired career objectives.
Type of Role
About the Role
Growcer is looking for individuals who strive to deliver creative solutions that balance out of the box thinking and sound engineering principles. You will be responsible for the process of creating and developing new products and client specific solutions, improving the performance of existing systems and overseeing manufacturing activities.
At Growcer we work as one cohesive team, and a result, you will be expected to interact with all departments, external contractors and clients to ensure each design meets the expectations of all stakeholders. This role reports directly to the Director of Product Development.
New Product and Technology Development
- Move product designs through development gates and ultimately through to commercialization
- Develop detailed manufacturing drawing and assembly instructions
- Collaborate with other engineers, managers, and creative team to advance product development
- Estimate and establish cost parameters and budgets for product design
- Prepare documentation such as testing protocols, schedules and product manuals
- Review and oversee the process of design through to product manufacturing
- Deliver projects in alignment with company methods and project sponsor wishes; close projects and codify learnings into future standards
- Provide planning support and coordinate execution of activities to develop the product (modular vertical farms), manufacturing process, and/or supply chain
- Make and implement recommendations to improve production efficiency
- Support product design from initial conception through to commercialization
- Work with the R&D team to take ideas and proposals, conduct research and turn them into testable prototypes
- Manage the fabrication and testing of prototypes
- Track prototype performance and results
- Coordinate external engineering contractors and prototype fabricators
- Contribute to an overall product roadmap that strengthens Growcer’s competitive market position and value to customers
- Support special design projects and initiatives
Work Environment and Culture:
- Further the promotion and adoption of engineering & design practices throughout Growcer. For example, by delivering “lunch and learn” training sessions to Growcer staff on product design fundamentals
- Be able to operate in a fast pace and adventurous company continually pushing the boundaries of performance